mardi, février 28, 2006

...And Happy Mardi Gras

One of the unanticipated cyber implications of living in France is that your computer knows where you are. Why or how this is, I don't know. But more to the point, the websites you visit know where you are. So when I want to go to Amazon, I first get kicked over to the French site, and then the UK Amazon site (I had to rejigger it to get me to an English language site--and it doesn't want to give me the 'States! It'll only give me the UK).When I do Google searches a lot of the answers will come up in English, but the banner ads and sidebar ads will often be in French. And I get the French eBay popping up a lot, tho' I've never bought or sold anything on eBay, U.S or French. Weird, huh? I rarely surf French websites because I can't read a damn thing, yet they are often where my machine wants to direct me.

Is that, like, globalism or something?

1 Comments:

At mardi, mars 07, 2006, Blogger Rickart said...

Not globalism, just people who want to sell you something.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home